Friday, November 1, 2013

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.... ah

[Michele] You know how you can sail through life not noticing something until someone points it out?Then you can't un-notice it.   For many things you can even become hyper alert to them.

Some American things that we can't get here I've been noticing for a while.  You can't get a bagel in Far North Queensland.  I'm not being picky about my bagels either.  Within Australia, you may have to go to Melbourne for a decent bagel but up here in Far North Queensland, you can't even find those horrible frozen bagels.  No bagels at all.  Robin's friends don't know what they are. I also noticed that you can't get those terrific thick pretzels, like Snyder's sourdough hard pretzels.  Mmmm.

But it wasn't until last week when a post office worker pointed it out to me that I realized that Australia doesn't have Reese's Peanut Butter cups.  Not at all.


In America, I'm a fan of an occasional Peanut Butter Cup and every Halloween we buy a bag for trick-or-treaters but keep some for ourselves. But I hadn't noticed that the candy wasn't here until the postie mentioned that Australia didn't have them.  Well of course, I instantly developed a huge craving for Reese's Peanut Butter cups.  

Forget "Who put chocolate in my peanut butter?".  Who forgot to import Reese's Peanut Butter Cups to Australia?

I want them.

I want them NOW!

-- cue Deus Ex Machina music ---


Betsy brought this awesome bucket of
candy for us from America.
Betsy arrived yesterday for a work holiday. We have several papers to work on as well as a couple proposals in the short 9 days that she is here.   I'm very glad to see Betsy but most importantly.... she brought Reese's Peanut Butter Cups from America!  

Hallelujah!

Although yesterday was also Halloween, none of the trick or treaters got access to our peanut butter cups.  Oh No!  We gave them the Australian Smarties and the Cherry Ripe lollies and they were none the wiser.

BTW: We got a grand total of 7 trick or treaters (3 in one group and 4 in a second). Of the seven, 4 were not in any sort of costume. Two little girls were wearing princess outfits and another girl was in her pajamas as her costume.  They really don't know how to do Halloween here.

No comments:

Post a Comment