Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Human Flumin' at Tully Gorge

[editor's note] This was posted 3 Dec but the event described happened on 17 Nov.

[Greg] I didn't think it would be possible to top the Great Barrier Reef, but I was wrong. OK, maybe we didn't top it today, but this was one of the neatest things I have ever done. We drove to a place called Tully Gorge, to swim in a jungle stream. We heard that Chris and family tried this one, but were chased off by March flies. (US equivalent of horse flies) There were a handful of those nasty critters, but we weren't bothered too badly. There was a waterfall coming out of the side of a cliff, and a deep, swift-moving stream underneath. We were able to get into the stream about 30 yards ahead of the waterfall, swim in, and the current carried us along right into the waterfall!! It was like an amusement park ride! I did it 3 times. I have never experienced anything quite like it in my life.
This is Chris' picture of the waterfall at Tully gorge.  Despite
March flies on that visit, he got a really nice pic of the site.


Greg and Michele start the flume up stream. 
Fun ride under the waterfall!

After that great jungle adventure, Gavin and I went looking for cassowaries. I drove for the first time, on the wrong side of the road. That is so hard to get used to. Good thing I only drove about 2 miles there and back! Well, we didn't see any cassowaries. I truly was lucky seeing one on my first day. We are leaving Mission Beach tomorrow, to have some adventures north of here. Don't know if I'll be able to blog about that while we're there; if not, I'll send copy to Michele to post once we've returned to the states. That return will be bittersweet; there are people back home we miss very much, but this journey has been incredible! And it's passing by so quickly. More to come..........

No comments:

Post a Comment